IMPORTANT QUESTIONS OF MOCROPROCESSORS FOR SEMESTER PAPERS
(Note: To be done by heart)
1. Many registers are available in 8086?
2. If A and B register contains 4 and 5 respectively what will be the status of Cy flag after execution of CMPB instruction?
3. What will be the contents of PC after execution of RST 7 instruction?
4. What is the word size of 8085 microprocessors? Which bus decides the word length of microprocessor?
5. Why demultiplexing of ADO – AD7 is required?
6. What is a parity flag? When is it affected?
7. State True or False:
a. CPU consists of ALU, PC and Instruction Register.
b. Instruction Cycle – Fetch Cycle + Execute Cycle
c. There is no direct instruction available to transfer 100 bytes from one location to another in 8085.
d. Only 8 Hardware interrupts can be handled with interrupt controller.
e. MOV, A, M is an example of indirect addressing
f. In RISC processor the No. of addressing modes are less than 4. False
g. An instruction will be executed in two machine cycles.
8. What do you mean by a synchronous and asynchronous bus? Give at least one explain of each.
9. Explain the function of the following 8085 instructions with example:
10. Discuss the function of the following signals of 8085.
11. Explain the requirement of a program counter in 8085 microprocessor.
12. What is DMA data transfer? Explain in brief.
13. Explain what is SIM.
14. Explain the role of an emulator in microprocessor based system development
15. What is a single chip microcomputer? Explain.
16. Distinguish between PROM and ROM.
17. What are Volatile and Non-Volatile Memory?
18. Why the Instruction OUT 1234H, AL fails to compile?
19. Distinguish between synchronous and Asynchronous buses.
20. Write about the move instruction of 8085.
21. Discuss how pipelining improve performance.
22. Discuss the interrupt handling of 68000.
23. Give an example of a single 68000 assembly instruction involving an immediate addressing mode and an absolute address mode.
24. What is the basic difference between branch and call subroutine instruction?
25. Explain the function of the following 8085 instructions with example:
26. Discuss the function of the following signals of 8085.
27. Explain four ways to clear the contents of accumulator.
28. Explain the requirement of a program counter in 8085 microprocessor.
29. What will be the contents of PC after execution of RST 5 instruction?
30. What is the word size of 8086 Microprocessor? Which bus decides and word length of a Microprocessor?
31. Explain SIM instruction in 8085.
32. What is a PSW?
33. What is a single chip microcomputer? Explain.
34. Find the errors in the following instructions.
(ii)ROR BL, 04
35. Write an assembly program that accepts an string of characters?
36. What is the word size on the 8086?
37. List the sequence of operations needed for the FETCH cycle of a basic computer?
38. How many clock cycles occur in 1 wait cycle?
39. Why data transfer with DMA is accelerated?
40. What is the last instruction executed by every interrupt?
41. What is the function of IF flag?
42. What is contained in interrupt vector table of each interrupt?
43. How many bus cycles are required to read as unaligned word of data from memory?
44. Write advantage of the assembly language in comparison with high-level language.
45. Write down the communication steps with an I/O device which are similar to those in communicating with memory.
46. Draw diagram of a memory chip with eight registers.
47. If the memory chip size is 256 x 1 bits, how many chips are required to make 1k byte of memory?
48. Draw Timing diagram of memory read cycle
49. Explain the function of system controller in 8085.
50. List the four categories of 8085 instructions that manipulate data.
51. Give the sum and flag setting for AF,ZF,SF,PF,CF and OF after hexadecimally adding 4AE0 to each of the following:
52. Write note on 8051 chip.
53. Draw the timing diagram of memory write cycle.
54. Explain the following terms:
55. Write note on 8051 chip.
56. List the four categories of 8085 instructions that manipulate data
57. If the memory chip size is 1024x4 bits, how many chips are required to make up 2k bytes of memory?
58. List three improved features of the 8086over 8085
59. Explain two byte and three byte instructions.
60. Give the sum and the flag settings for AF, SF, ZF, CF, OF & PF after hexadecimally adding 62A0 to each of the following:(i)1234(ii)4321
61. How PROM programming differ from ROM programming?
62. Compare Motorola 68000 with 8086.